25 Higher Education Institutions to Create Partnerships, Promote U.S. Higher Education in Sub-Saharan Africa
U.S. Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Industry & Analysis Marcus Jadotte today announced he will lead 25 U.S. colleges and universities on an education trade mission to Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, and South Africa, March 7-13. The delegation will recruit students to study in the United States and facilitate partnerships between U.S. and African educational institutions. The group will also discuss how welcoming students to U.S. colleges and universities will benefit both the United States and sub-Saharan Africa.
“Enhancing education and expanding study abroad opportunities for African students—future leaders and innovators—better prepares young people for the 21st century global workforce and economic opportunities,” said Assistant Secretary Jadotte.
This mission will be in Côte d’Ivoire March 11-13 and feature an Education Fair on Saturday, March 12. The Fair will offer Ivoirian students the opportunity to meet and interact with representatives of higher education institutions looking to recruit students to study in the United States. For the sixth consecutive year, the percentage of Ivorian students enrolled in U.S. colleges and universities continues to increase. In the past year the number of Ivorian students in the U.S. increased from 1,116 in 2014 to 1,227 in 2015, a growth of approximately 10%. Côte d’Ivoire also continues to send the largest number of students to the U.S. from sub-Saharan Francophone Africa.
Included in the group are schools from across the United States including, community colleges; universities with undergraduate and graduate degree programs; and institutions that offer an array of specialty degrees. The delegation comprises representatives from:
- Berkeley College – New York, N.Y.
- California State University, Bakersfield – Bakersfield, Calif.
- Chemeketa Community College – Salem, Ore.
- Columbia College Chicago – Chicago, Ill.
- Emerson College – Boston, Mass.
- Foothill-DeAnza Community Colleges – Los Altos Hills, Calif.
- The Graduate School, University of Florida – Gainesville, Fla.
- Huston-Tillotson University – Austin, Texas
- Indiana University South Bend – South Bend, Ind.
- Loyola University, Chicago School of Law – Chicago, Ill.
- Maryville University – St. Louis, Mo.
- McNeese State University – Lake Charles, La.
- Michigan State University – East Lansing, Mich.
- Murray State University – Murray, Ky.
- Northern Kentucky University – Highland Heights, Ky.
- San Mateo County Community College District – San Mateo, Calif.
- Santa Rosa Junior College – Santa Rosa, Calif.
- Schiller International University – Largo, Fla.
- University of Arizona – Tucson, Ariz.
- University of California, Irvine – Irvine, Calif.
- University of California, San Diego – La Jolla, Calif.
- University of Delaware – Newark, Del.
- University of Mary Hardin-Baylor – Belton, Texas
- West Virginia University – Morgantown, W.Va.
- Wheeling Jesuit University – Wheeling, W.Va.