U.S. Citizenship for Minors and Adults

Documentation of United States Citizens Born Abroad Who Acquire Citizenship at Birth

1. Consular Report of Birth Abroad – The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest American consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth.  The official record is in the form of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America.  This document, referred to as the Consular Report of Birth or FS-240, is considered a basic United States citizenship document. An original FS-240 is furnished to the parent(s) at the time the registration is approved.

2. Child Citizenship Act of 2000 – The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of American citizens to acquire American citizenship.  These children did not acquire American citizenship at birth, but they qualify for citizenship when they enter the United States as lawful permanent residents (LPRs).

Claiming U.S. Citizenship

This service is available by appointment only in at the Consular Section of the Embassy, except on Ivorian and American Holidays.

If you are over 18 years of age, and if you were born to a U.S. citizen parent abroad who did not declare your birth at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, you may have a claim to U.S. citizenship and apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.