Report Birth Abroad

General Information

Please visit the U.S. Department of State site for current and complete information regarding the documentation of children born abroad.

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents are entitled to be documented as U.S. citizens if the citizen parent meets certain transmission requirements laid out in the United States Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The following information will assist you in determining whether or not you are able to transmit citizenship to your child, and will assist you in completing the necessary steps to register your child’s birth and obtain a U.S. passport.

If your child has a potential claim to U.S. citizenship and is still under the age of eighteen, it will be necessary for the U.S. citizen parent to execute an application for a “Consular Report of Birth Abroad” before a consular officer. Both parents must accompany the child to the Consular Section of the US Embassy. You may also apply for your child’s first passport and social security card when you report your child’s birth.

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad is issued to parents following positive adjudication of their child’s claim to United States citizenship. The child’s claim must be adjudicated before a U.S. passport can be issued.

Processing of citizenship claims is done by online appointment only.  Please click here to schedule an online appointment.

For the most up-to-date and complete information on Reports of Birth Abroad please visit the State Department web page on this topic.

Applicants arriving without the completed Consular Report of Birth Abroad application will be asked to reschedule their appointments.

Required Documents
  • Complete form DS-2029 (Application for report of birth Abroad) **
  • Complete form DS-5507 (Affidavit of Parentage & Physical Presence) **
  • Child’s Original Ivorian birth certificate + 1 clear photocopy;
  • Parents’ Marriage Certificate, if applicable + 1 clear photocopy;
  • Evidence of termination of prior marriage(s) if either or both parents were previously married (divorce decree(s) or death certificate(s) of former spouse(s)) + 1 clear photocopy;
  • U.S. passport(s) of parent(s) if applicable + 1 clear photocopy of the biodata page of the passport ;
  • Naturalization Certificate(s) of parent(s) (Original) if applicable + 1 clear photocopy;
  • Proof of five (5) years of physical presence in the US if the child has one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent (in or out of wedlock) (see handout for examples)**
  • Proof of one (1) year of physical presence in the U.S. if child was born to a U.S. citizen mother out of wedlock before June 12, 2017 (see handout for examples);
  • Physical presence of the child;
  • Presence of both parents for signature before the Consular Officer;
  • Maternity book + 1 clear photocopy;
  • Passport pages showing Entry and Exit stamps in and out of Cote d’Ivoire

** Forms have to be filled by the U.S. citizen parent.

All documents presented must be originals or certified copies from the local city hall.

Please note: The Consular Report of Birth must be executed in person.

Fees:  Consular Report of Birth Abroad:  USD 100.00.

           Photocopy:  USD 1. 00 per page.

Additional Documentation for Children

Passport Issuance:  Once the Report of Birth is completed, the child may be issued a U.S. passport. To apply for a passport for your child, please click here.

Social Security Card: We are no longer processing Social Security applications at U.S. Embassy Abidjan. To apply for a Social Security card, you need to contact the Social Security administration office at U.S. Embassy Paris.