An official website of the United States government

Services we provide


Notarial services are for all nationalities and are by appointment only. Normally the document to be notarized is for use within the United States, although there may be exceptions. If you have multiple documents to be notarized, you should only make one appointment. You will pay $50 USD, at the Embassy or Consulate on your day of appointment, for each notary seal required. If you require notarization on translated documents, the person who translated the document must be present at the notarization.

On the day of your appointment, you must:

      • Bring the complete, unsigned documents to be notarized. Even if there are pages that do not require signature or seals, you must present the entire packet.
      • Present a valid government-issued ID identification such as a passport, driver’s license, Ivorian national ID, or other consular ID card. The name on the documents must be the same as the name on your ID.
      • Pay $50 USD per notary seal (payment accepted in cash – U.S. dollars, West African CFA franc, or major credit card).
      • Be of sound mind and understand the document you want notarized. Consular staff is not permitted to explain contents to you.
      • If your notary service requires a witness, you must arrange for your own witnesses. Consular staff cannot witness your documents. Witness must be over the age of 18 and available at time of signing.
      • Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry (Capacité Matrimoniale): On the day of your appointment, you must bring your own written statement to notarize, drafted by you, attesting your freedom to get married, along with your passport and one clear photocopy of your passport. To obtain information on what you need to get married in Cote d’Ivoire, you should confirm all requirements with the office of the respective City Hall (Le Maire) where the marriage will take place.

Examples of Notarial Services Performed At No Charge

DS-3053: To notarize a DS-3053 Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. Passport To a Minor Under Age 16 (PDF, 345K), please review the instructions listed on the form, the information fields that must be completed, and bring your original, valid, government-issued photo ID as well as a photocopy of both sides. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.

Power of Attorney (in conjunction with U.S. passport applications): When both parents are unable to be personally present to apply for a minor’s U.S. passport, and they wish to designate a third party to do so, they may sign a power of attorney (POA) before a notary public. This POA must contain specific data fields; see a sample.  Note that photocopies of both sides of each parents’ original, valid, government-issued photo ID must be included with the POA. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.

At the Direct Request of a U.S. Municipal, State or Federal Entity

At the Direct Request of a Foreign Government: For example, if Cote d’Ivoire’s Secretary of Foreign Relations requests that the Embassy or Consulate notarize documents to be used to collect child support in the United States. Or, if a Cote d’Ivoire migrant assistance agency requests the Embassy or Consulate notarize a document for a parent to request a child’s birth certificate, see a sample.