United States Embassy Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Security Awareness During Ramadan
June 13, 2016
The U.S. Embassy encourages U.S. citizens to remain vigilant during Ramadan, generally observed from June 5 to July 5. Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates.
- Know where your family members and colleagues are located and how to reach them in case of an emergency, keeping in mind that the internet and cell phones may not always function.
- Carry a fully charged cell phone with emergency contacts.
- Maintain security awareness at all times; pay attention to persons in proximity to you and be aware of any unattended packages.
- Avoid crowded areas as they present target rich environments for criminals and terrorists alike.
- Identify egress points in the event of an emergency.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Cote d’Ivoire Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Cote d’Ivoire, located in the Riviera Golf neighborhood of the Cocody section of Abidjan, at +225 22-49-40-00, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +225-22-49-44-50.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.