The U.S. Embassy has received reports of on-going violent clashes in and around Bouake in central Côte d’Ivoire over increases in electricity prices. Several injuries and one death have been reported. The Embassy urges U.S. citizens to exercise caution and avoid Bouake until the violence has subsided, and to stay current with media coverage of local events.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Cote d’Ivoire Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Cote d’Ivoire, located in the Riviera Golf neighborhood of the Cocody section of Abidjan, at +225 22-49-40-00, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +225-22-49-44-50.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.