Security Alert: U.S. Embassy Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Location: Northern and Northeast Boarder Region of Cote d’Ivoire, specifically:
- Areas more than 10 kilometers north of highway A-12
- Areas within 10 kilometers of the border with Burkina Faso or Mali
- North, East or inside of Comoe National Park
- Northeast of highway A-1, from Ghana’s border, to Bondoukou and Comoe National Park at Kotouba
Extremist groups continue to carry out attacks in adjacent areas of Mali and Burkina Faso. Security forces from Burkina Faso and Côte d’Ivoire have been carrying out joint counter-terrorism operations along the northern border with Burkina Faso.
U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling to the northern and northeast border region, as delineated above, limiting the ability of the U.S. Embassy to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens. Note this prohibition does not include travel within the city limits of the following major cities: Odienne, Madinani, Boundiali, Korhogo, Ferkessedougou, or Bondoukou.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas adjacent to the northern and northeast border region.
- Monitor local media for breaking events, and adjust your plans based on new information.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
- Carry a copy of your passport and visa and leave originals in your hotel safe.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Cote d’Ivoire.
- Review the Traveler’s Checklist and have contingency plans for emergency situations.
- U.S. Embassy Abidjan
BP 730 Abidjan Cidex 03
Republic of Cote d’Ivoire
U.S. Citizens with emergencies: (+225) 2249 4103
Outside of Embassy Hours: (+225) 2249 4450
- State Department – Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Cote d’Ivoire Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter