Message for U.S. Citizens: Remain Vigilant for COVID-19 Related Scams
Location: Cote d’Ivoire
Event: The Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) warns individuals to remain vigilant for scams related to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Cyber actors may send emails with malicious attachments or links to fraudulent websites to trick victims into revealing sensitive information or donating to fraudulent charities or causes. Exercise caution in handling any email with a COVID-19 related subject line, attachment, or hyperlink, and be wary of social media pleas, texts, or calls related to COVID-19.
The first and best source of authoritative information on COVID-19 is http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html where visitors will find information on the virus itself, situation updates, and tailored information for audiences including communities, schools, and businesses, as well as others.
Reminder: U. S. Embassy Abidjan strongly recommends that U.S. Citizens and nationals enroll in STEP, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, at step.state.gov. STEP enrollees receive important information from the Embassy about health conditions, safety alerts, and travel updates. Enrollment enables the Embassy to contact you in the event of an emergency. If you have previously enrolled in STEP, we recommend that you log into your STEP account to ensure your details are current, your country of travel information is correct, and that you set your departure date as ‘indefinite.’ These steps will enable you to receive all our embassy messaging.
Actions to Take:
- Respect local Ivorian laws, including curfew and closures.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- If you are sick with COVID-like symptoms, call your health care provider or Cote D’Ivoire’s COVID hotline at 143 or 101. Do not go directly to a health center.
- For the most recent information on the COVID-19 pandemic, and what you can do to protect yourself and others, please visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Cote d’Ivoire.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States. Please be sure to confirm which U.S. airports are currently accepting international travelers.
- U.S. Embassy Abidjan
BP 730 Abidjan Cidex 03
Republic of Cote d’Ivoire
U.S. Citizens with emergencies: (+225) 2249 4103
Outside of Embassy Hours: (+225) 2249 4450
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cote d’Ivoire Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter