United States Embassy Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Security Message for U.S. Citizens
Shooting in grand Bassam
March 13, 2016
The U.S. Embassy has received reports of gun shots in Grand Bassam. The Embassy advises American citizens in Côte d’Ivoire to defer travel to Grand Bassam and if you are there to shelter in place. Please monitor local media and follow the instructions of local authorities to stay abreast of the current security environment.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Cote d’Ivoire Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Cote d’Ivoire, located in the Riviera Golf neighborhood of the Cocody section of Abidjan, at +225 22-49-40-00, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +225-22-49-44-50.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.