Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire (11 June, 2020)
Location: Cote d’Ivoire
As of June 11, 2020, the Ivoirian Ministry of Health confirmed 4,404 COVID-19 cases in the country, including 41 deaths and 2,212 recoveries, leaving 2,151 active cases. The country has seen higher daily averages of new cases through the month of June, peaking at 223 new cases on June 11. A World Health Organization (WHO) situation report released on June 1 declared Treichville-Marcory, an Abidjan neighborhood, a virus hotspot, with one third of cases in Abidjan originating from this neighborhood.
Cote d’Ivoire’s border closure and suspension on commercial flight operations was extended through June 30, as well as the State of Emergency and isolation of the Greater Abidjan region. The restrictions on large group gatherings in Abidjan is also maintained, reducing the maximum group size from 200 back to 50 individuals maximum.
The U.S. Embassy does not anticipate organizing an additional repatriation flight from Cote d’Ivoire to the United States at this time. There is no confirmed date on which international commercial fights may resume. Please continue to check directly with commercial airlines for updated operational information.
The U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to continue to adhere scrupulously to personal precautions, such as wearing a face covering, practicing physical distancing, as well as frequent and thorough hand washing.
STEP Enrollment: All U.S. citizens in Cote d’Ivoire are encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) and monitor the Embassy’s website and Facebook page for the latest available information. We will release updated information on local conditions as it becomes available.
U.S. Embassy Abidjan Consular Operations: The consular section remains closed for routine services at this time and the processing of routine Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and full-validity passports remains severely delayed. We remain available for emergency services for U.S. citizens. If you are a U.S. citizen requiring emergency assistance, please contact us by e-mail at ABJAmCit@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Respect local Ivorian laws and health guidelines. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
- If you are sick with COVID-like symptoms, call your health care provider or Cote d’Ivoire’s COVID hotline at 143, 101, 119, or 125. Do not go directly to a health center.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19 and how to protect yourself and others.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Cote d’Ivoire.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis website on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Abidjan
BP 730 Abidjan Cidex 03
Republic of Cote d’Ivoire
U.S. Citizens with emergencies: (+225) 27 22 49 4103
Outside of Embassy Hours: (+225) 27 22 49 4450