Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Location: Cote d’Ivoire
Event: On March 16, the Cote d’Ivoire Ministry of Health announced that there have been six confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Cote d’Ivoire.
The government of Cote d’Ivoire has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Schools (including pre-schools and universities) are closed for 30 days starting at midnight March 16; sporting events, festivals, and gatherings larger than 50 people are banned effective midnight March 18. Social distancing is in effect: no handshakes, and maintain at least one meter distance from other persons. All confirmed and suspected cases of COVID-19 are to be quarantined in state-run centers.
The government of Cote d’Ivoire has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Cote d’Ivoire has barred admission for the next 15 days (renewable) to non-Ivoirian travelers who have visited any country with 100 or more confirmed cases, including the United States.
Many travelers in Cote d’Ivoire have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
On March 13, the Department of State authorized the departure of U.S. personnel and family members who are at a higher risk of a negative outcome should they contract COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Cote d’Ivoire.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Abidjan
BP 730 Abidjan Cidex 03
Republic of Cote d’Ivoire
U.S. Citizens with emergencies: (+225) 2249 4103
Outside of Embassy Hours: (+225) 2249 4450