Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Location: Cote d’Ivoire
Event: The Ministry of Health of Cote d’Ivoire has confirmed 14 cases of COVID-19 in Cote d’Ivoire.
On March 20, the Government of Cote d’Ivoire announced that the land, aviation and maritime borders will close on midnight, Sunday March 22 for an indeterminate period of time. Cargo shipments will not be affected.
The government of Cote d’Ivoire has implemented enhanced screening measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. The airport has currently suspended all arrivals of passenger planes. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline for news of any follow-on flights.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departurefrom any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
The government of Cote d’Ivoire has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Schools (including pre-schools and universities) are closed for 30 days starting at midnight March 16; sporting events, festivals, and gatherings larger than 50 people are banned effective midnight March 18. Social distancing is in effect: no handshakes, maintain at least one-meter distance from other persons. All confirmed and suspected cases of COVID-19 are to be quarantined in state-run centers.
Effective March 18, U.S. Embassy Abidjan has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Cote d’Ivoire.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States. Please be sure to confirm which U.S. airports are currently accepting international travelers.
- U.S. Embassy Abidjan
BP 730 Abidjan Cidex 03
Republic of Cote d’Ivoire
U.S. Citizens with emergencies: (+225) 2249 4103
Outside of Embassy Hours: (+225) 2249 4450
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Cote d’Ivoire Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter