Demonstration Alert: Road Blockages in Abidjan
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Event: Unofficial barricades have been set up on Boulevard de France between the U.S. Embassy and Jacques Prévert. Rue de Ambassade in Anono is completely blocked by the barricade (as of 08:30 AM). The barricades are likely linked to a nationwide Student and Scholastic Federation of Cote d’Ivoire (FESCI) strike, which has been announced for the next 72 hours and may be renewed. As part of that strike, FESCI members may seek to obstruct vehicular or pedestrian traffic near and around any school. The police are attempting to clear the roads and are utilizing tear gas to disperse crowds.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Maintain a low profile.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy Abidjan BP 730 Abidjan Cidex 03
Republic of Cote d’Ivoire
U.S. Citizens with emergencies: (+225) 2249 4000
Outside of Embassy Hours: (+225) 2249 4450 AbjAmcit@state.gov, https://ci.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Bureau of Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Cote d’Ivoire Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter